Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Uncle

One of my uncles was one of those people in the deli and he told me the following story:

One of the busiest times for a meat-department manager in a supermarket occurs when there is a sale on particular cuts. When we put cross-rib roasts on sale one day the result was predictable. I'd bring out a cart of roasts and before I could get them on display, women customers were jostling for their share. Three times I returned with a cart of roasts and three times they were gone before I got to the counter.
The fourth time out I noticed that a man who had quietly been watching began to approach my cart. He elbowed his way in, pushing and shoving, and finally grasped a roast. Before he could retreat from the crush, an irate woman glared at him and said, "Sir, how about being a gentleman!"
The fellow turned and said, "Ma'am, for twenty minutes I've been a gentleman, now I'm going to be a lady!" And with that he smiled, took his roast and walked away.

3 comments:

Carolanne said...

Which uncle was that? I only have 3 brothers and only one of them worked in a butcher's shop - in a part-time capacity.
Do you know who that was??
Interesting story but perhaps should have stated that you heard/read this story from another source.

Nathan said...

I was going to see it was from Uncle Bob but anyway I have got a subscription to the Pastor Tim website (google it is well worth the look) which are piling up and desperately need to be read so I have been trying to catch up with them.

C.J.M. said...

Love the story.