Saturday, August 05, 2006

Quotes of the Day

A couple of bible verses because it's Sunday:

"Suffer the little children to come unto me, for such is the kingdom of God.” Mt. 19:14 King James Version.

2 Corinthians 12:13-15 (New International Version)

13How were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was never a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!
14Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less?


I knew it. Look at the context. Find fault in my theory O parents.

John 11:39
"Martha... saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh" I heard somewhere that: 'he stinketh' used to be one of the most well known phrases in the bible.

1 comment:

C.J.M. said...

In answer to your invitation:
1/ Read Luke 18:15-17--You will notice that yes Jesus cared for little children literally, but he also used their innocence as a metaphor.
For example in verse 17, Jesus states: "...anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it".

Not the context, the preceding story is about the Pharisee and the tax collector, and the following story is about the Rich Young Ruler. So it is very true Jesus cares about children, but this is also a powerful metaphor about humility.

The context of 2 Corinthians 12 is Paul's concerns for the Corinthians.
He is like a spiritual father and is very concerned about their well-being. There has been some accusations made against him.
However, the main context of this verse was that as a parent he is going to pay his own way.
In Australia we have an Old Age pension and superannuation. Therfore this is not a relevant issue. Unless you are going to pursue your goal of being a Doctor in Engineering and want to shout your aging parents a trip overseas at a later date.
The Federal Treasurer, Peter Costello estimates it costs $300,000 to raise a child. So Nathan you are free from this debt to us. We don't expect you to save up for us. However, if you wanted me to complicate this a little I could arrange for a person from an Asian background to talk to you where this is an expectation of their culture. I could cite some examples "off-line".
Finally in Galatians 6, after encouraging the Galatians to carry each other's burdens, Paul concludes in verse 5:
"for each one should carry his own load".