Saturday, July 08, 2006

Pirates Of the Caribean

I saw Pirates of the Caribean II Dead Man's chest yesterday (one day after it came out) so I decided to do a quick review.

It was defintely a different sort of movie to the curse of the black pearl. As I read in one of the reviews I just read, you just love it or hate it. Thankfully, the actors and more importantly the characters came back with as much if not more brilliance than last time. Hmm, more. The special effects were very good. I've read alot of the tricks and understand CGI pretty well for a 13 year old, but I could barely spot the rough edges that I normally see in other movies (except for one instance where Jack Sparrow is standing in front of what is obviously to me a blue screen and not a terror of the deep).
The action is very good and defintely not overdone, pretty much with a perfect balance. However, some of the action I have to say was a little bit unlogical even excluding the fact that it was a supernatural movie. Yes, it was darker, but the characters, plot, or anything else didn't suffer because of it as it sometimes does. There are alot of laughs in it too. The plot apparently got too complicated to understand according to some other reviewers, but I don't really see it that way unless you didn't go for enjoyment and to fret about the details and predict what is going to happen the first time to watch it. Sometimes you don't know what is happening, but not in a bad way and it is only to keep the suspense up.

Overall, a very good movie, but different to the first one. This means that you can't really compare the movie to the first one by the same terms, but the movie doesn't at all feel like it's completely seperate and unconnected to the first one. So, there you have it. It is a good movie and one of my faviourites NOT a disapointment.

7 comments:

Carolanne said...

A well written review, Nathan! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and had a great time.
It was a big thing for your parents and Nick's to trust you to go and see the movie, get yourself dinner and then take yourself to youth group. It's good to be able to trust you!
By the way, in 3 months time you will no longer be 13 years old. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw "Superman Returns" this afternoon. As Superman was my favorite comic hero growing up (and I'm also a fan of the TV show "Smallville'), I was eager to see this movie, and I can say it didn't disappoint.

I also want to see the new "Pirates of the Carribean" movie, as I really enjoyed the first movie. And by the way, I don't suppose I need to tell you that the first movie is on TV tomorrow (Sunday) night?

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review- I was going to see it anyway as my favorite actor is Johnny Depp but now I won't be worried that it is a bad movie.We own the first one.

C.J.M. said...

A good review Nathan. Glad you enjoyed it. Like mum said, it was also good that you handled the responsibility of getting yourselves to Youth Group after tea, so well.

Nathan said...

Yes I did know that Wendy, but I already have the DVD(:D) so I am not all that fanatical about it. Hope you like it. But I did make it clear that some people aren't going to like it didn't I? Oh Well.

Anonymous said...

Actually I have the first movie on DVD too, so I won't be watching it on TV tonight either. Besides, I rarely do watch movies on TV...too many commercials.

Wendy

delwynnehughes said...

What an excellent review Nathan. Are yoy thinking of being a journalist? So glad you enjoyed the movie.