Monday, July 03, 2006

My Prose?

Today I created an original and creative (as per always) poem (as per never before of free will). It is fiction of course and is about my granny whose name is Smith and she is bad and my constable father whisks her away eventually to the Granny Smith Apple Factory (Granny Smith is an Aussie brand of apples) and then I die etc. Anyway, as it is over 1,000 words long, I could not make it a complete poem and I am not going to totally abondon my style of writing for the sake of the poem, so I just casually labeled it a poem. My Mom said (before she read it ) that it said it sounded like a prose, and if I didn't know what that means I should look it up in the dictinary. (I don't think she knew what it meant either). So I did and it said (according to dictionary.com):

Ordinary speech or writing, without metrical structure.
Commonplace expression or quality.
Roman Catholic Church. A hymn of irregular meter sung before the Gospel. intr.v. prosed, pros·ing, pros·es
To write prose.
To speak or write in a dull, tiresome style.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prsa (rti), straightforward (discourse), feminine of prsus, alteration of prrsus, from prversus, past participle of prvertere, to turn forward : pr-, forward; see pro-1 + vertere, to turn; see wer-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

Thanks Mum.

P.S. I've since found out that mum meant every word and she already had full understanding of the particular word, "Prose". Apparently it was a ploy to make me look up a dictionary. She then fixed up all my spelling and grammatical errors in this and my other blog posts even this P.S. and to shock, horror, make it sound better - as if my style isn't good enough.

4 comments:

Carolanne said...

What it is to have a mother who is a teacher!
By the way you're prose/poem was very good. Perhaps you should think about posting it here. :)

Carolanne said...

In the book, "The Tale of Despereaux" that I am reading to my students, and that you, dear son have also read, there is a word 'perfidy' and the author invites you, dear reader, to look up the word in a dictionary if you don't know what it means. When I read that bit to my students, they were surprised that it was there and thought I had made it up.

C.J.M. said...

Well Nathan it was very good. What you have to do in the future is classify your poems as "modern poetry" and you are safe ground.

Nathan said...

will do.