Saturday, May 27, 2006

Cookie Monster

You Are Cookie Monster

Misunderstood as a primal monster, you're a true hedonist with a huge sweet tooth.

You are usually feeling: Hungry. Cookies are preferred, but you'll eat anything if cookies aren't around.

You are famous for: Your slightly crazy eyes and usual way of speaking

How you life your life: In the moment. "Me want COOKIE!"
Maybe not quite me except for the eating part hopefully, but there is a point for me putting this on my blog. Yes, Shock, Horror, I am about to do a serious blog.
I was reading the Herald Sun (an Australian newspaper) and it had an article headed: 'Cookie monster on a health kick'. Intrigued, I read on. It appears that the cookie monster is on a diet! As part of the fight against childhood obesity greatens, the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street is being used to help. Children are now learning that cookies are 'sometimes food' and food like fruit are 'always food' (this is apparently more effective than telling them not to eat cookies altogether.)
So, understandably, the Herald Sun thought this was interesting enough to put in the newspaper. And I completely agree. But I find it disgraceful that the newspaper forgot to mention altogether that fair dinkum aussies actually don't say 'cookies' instead of biscuits except for little children who don't know any better (probably at least partly due to the Cookie monster). (This excludes chocalate chip cookies). (I apologise to any fan of/ maker of/viewer of Sesame Street who may be offended and anyone who considers themselves fair dinkum aussies who still say cookies who may also be offended). Lastly, this of course excludes the 'virtual cookies' produced from the internet which are not in fact translated into biscuits.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Once again an exceptional and what looks like an ardous and great blog Nathan. I look forward to seeing future blogs even more now.

From,
Anonymous.

P.S: I found out in case, like me, any other readers don't know what hedonism means, I found the dictionary meaning from dictionary.reference.com:

he·don·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hdn-zm)
n.
1. Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.
2. Philosophy. The ethical doctrine holding that only what is pleasant or has pleasant consequences is intrinsically good.
3. Psychology. The doctrine holding that behavior is motivated by the desire for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

P.P.S: There's no other way to tell who wrote this is there?

Carolanne said...

A very clever post, Nathan. It's about time you got around to publishing a "serious" blog post and it's a very current topic.
Your anonymous comment under "Nathan" was very secretive and I'm sure no one will realise its you.

Anonymous said...

What? No! You don't think that comment was actually from me do you? Honestly, it must have been some sort of clever prank. I mean, why would you suspect me??????!!!!!!!!